Canada Immigration

What You Need to Know Before Moving to Canada as a Graduate


What You Need to Know Before Moving to Canada as a Graduate – Canada is currently among the top destinations of a lot of graduates and even international graduates in Canada do not want to go back after completing their study program; they have fallen in love with the place. Well, who wouldn’t fall in love with the Great White North? A country full of opportunities and offer you one of the best quality of life in the world.

READ ALSO: How To Apply For A Canadian Study Visa From Nigeria

Whether you are planning on coming over on a temporary or permanent basis, you won’t want trade the opportunity of visiting Canada for anything else. Currently it is looking to fill up labour shortages across all provinces and territories and as a graduate; you have an upper hand of gaining employment in some of the occupations that are in-demand provided you are skill in the field.

The Canada job market is open to people who are ready to work and contribute to the growth of the country and with the rising retirees in the country, you wouldn’t find it difficult to land a job in Canada as a graduate.

But this is only possible if you have the right information at your fingertips; you know information is power and with the right information, you would know what to do before you come to Canada as a graduate and how you can fast track your process of getting a job and also a permanent residence in Canada as a graduate.

Canada is on the lookout for young professionals and skilled workers to and it has designed over a 100 immigration programs to help immigrants come into the country and contribute to the workforce of the country.

We are not going to be looking at the hundred ways you can actually come to Canada, we will be limiting our discussion to three ways you can come to Canada as a graduate and also work in Canada.


Without further ado, let’s proceed…

How Can You Immigrate to Canada as a Graduate?

  • Provincial Nominee Program

This is an immigration program initiated by the Canadian government to help provinces in Canada to nominate immigrants to come to the province and fill up labour shortages. This program will allow you to live and work in a province in Canada if you have a job offer and meet the requirements of that particular province.

Each of the 11 provinces under this program sets its own requirements to meet its economic needs and fill up labour shortages in the country. The PNPs enable employers in any province to hire foreign skilled workers to come fill up job positions in the province. You will be nominated to get permanent residence but these provinces do not give or approve your application for permanent residence in Canada, a nomination from any province will increase your chances of being selected.

As a graduate, you can immigrate to Canada through specific PNP Graduate Streams. In some of the streams under the PNPs, you must have completed a post-secondary program (outside of Canada) of at least two years and also have a job offer from an employer in the province as a requirement to qualify for the program.

But also as an international student in Canada, you would have an upper hand in getting a permanent residence through this stream as most of the PNP Graduate Streams favour international graduates from any tertiary institution in Canada.

  • The Express Entry System

This is more like the fastest way to immigrate to Canada even as a graduate; you should also know that it is the most popular immigration program in Canada presently. Through this program, you can get permanent residence in Canada as a graduate. This is an online program that requires you to create an online profile where you update your information according to the requirements of the program.

As a graduate, you must have at least one year work experience in Canada to qualify for this program. The program is a point-based system where candidates are given points according to the information they filled in their profile like age, work experience, educational qualifications etc. your profile is expected to be completed in 60days days after which you will be placed in a draw with other candidates and then given points which is to be ranked against a ranking system called the Comprehensive Ranking System. If you meet or exceed the CRS cut-off score, you will be selected to get an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residence in Canada. so for you to earn more points, you must have a higher level of education, work experience and high proficiency in either French or English.

You don’t really need a job offer to qualify for this program but having a job offer will increase your points and boost your chances of success.

  • The International Experience Canada

This program favours international graduates in Canada as employers love to hire international graduates as they are believed to have gained Canadian work experience while studying and working in Canada. The program is designed for young adults from age 18-35 years from over 35 countries to work in Canada and gain professional experience and this is because there is an agreement between Canada and these countries to allow Canadian citizens to travel abroad to work and study and so it also makes it easier for citizens of the 35 countries in this agreement to come to Canada to work.

The participating countries are:

  • Andorra
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Chile
  • Costa Rica
  • Croatia
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hong Kong
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Mexico
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • San Marino
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan
  • Ukraine
  • United Kingdom

There are three International Experience Canada IEC categories for international graduates and they are:

  • The Young Professional Category

In this category, you will be given a work permit to work in Canada and gain Canadian work experience to contribute to your professional development but for you to qualify for this category as a graduate; you must have a job offer before you can come to Canada.

  • The International Co-op (internship)

This program is if you need to complete an internship or work placement that is part of your academic curriculum; you can go through this program under the IEC. You will also need work permit to be able to work in Canada and your internship must be related to your field of study.

  • Working Holiday

This is the most popular category of the IEC as it allows you as a graduate to work on a part-time basis in Canada even while engaging in leisure activities. Through this category, you gain work experience in Canada and also explore the beauties of the country.

What Do I Need to Come to Canada as a Graduate?

We are going to be looking at some of the requirements you would need for you to come to Canada as a graduate and start working too.

  • Educational Credential Assessment (ECA)

This is very important if you want to come to Canada as a graduate. You must get your qualifications assessed by a designated and approved organization in order to show that your credentials and qualification meet the standard of Canada whether it’s a degree or diploma.

Many visa programs in Canada make this requirement a compulsory one and with this, you can easily get a job in Canada. Some of the approved organizations are:

  • World Education Services
  • International Credential Evaluation Service
  • International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)
  • Comparative Education Service – University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies
  • International Credential Assessment Service of Canada
  • Language test results

For every country you want to immigrate to, you must show that you can easily adapt to the country and communicate easily with people in the country and Canada is no exception to this. As a graduate that wants to come to Canada, you must show proficiency in the two official languages in Canada which are English and French. For the English-speaking graduates, you can decide to take an approved language test like the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and the French-speaking graduates can take Test d’Évaluation de Français (TEF Canada).

Having a high score in the four language abilities such as listening, writing, reading and speaking will improve your chances of immigrating to Canada as a graduate.


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *